Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chanakya

Many years back, when the cable TV did not exist, and I was very young... I really enjoyed watching 'Chanakya' on Doordarshan. I dont think it made much sense to me, but the look and feel of historic India fascinated me! It continues to fascinate me!

So, yesterday, I hired a VCD of the first two episodes of 'Chanakya'. I did not know that I would sit and watch both the episodes at one stretch. I did.

I am bowled over by the intensity of the film. It is really exciting to witness life as it would have existed hundereds of years ago. Life in Patliputra, the capital of a relatively prosperous Magadh. During the day, the streets are busy with people, horses and maybe an odd 'high profile' chariot. One man sits between perhaps a dozen pots of water, near the gates of the walled city, and serves water to the passers by - noble men and the ordinary people - all alike!

Maybe somethings never change, so just like we have a corrupted political scenario today, we have a corrupted political scenario in Patliputra. Maha Mantri, who lives in a very simple and very believable big house (with regards to the standards set by Mahabharata etc), stands for the good. The King lives in a 'not so fancy' palace, and thankfully without some "dumb looking and completeley oblivious of whats happening around" sepoys. He's corrupt, and he has the support of most of the other mantri's. Then there is Acharya Chanak, who heads one of the gurukuls. He supports Maha Mantri. One of his students is Vishnugupt (and perhaps his son too). Vishnugupt will go on to be known as 'Chanakya'.

Unlike most of the programs that we have on television these days, the language is not flowery and the clothes are not flashy! 'Chanakya' is real and indulging!

Hats off to Dr Chandraprakash and all others who have made this masterpiece!

2 comments:

Gaurav Chaudhari said...

JGD DEAR..Even i'm watching it.. Twas Watching the series too , it was suggested to me by my basic course teacher... Chanakya is remebered for his "yuktis" n the way he tackled obstacles as u would see in the latter episodes. I believe we all should be skilled at plyin yuktis , ... Guruji says so..

Unknown said...

hmmm! :-)
sounds interesting...

are you the gaurav from ttc?